The word “dependents” as used in RCNBF information, means wives / husbands, widows / widowers, children up to the age of 18 years, each of whom are, or were, dependent upon the earnings of an individual in one of the categories specified in paragraph 4(a) to (g). In addition, children over the age of 18 who were physically, or mentally, unable to provide for themselves from birth; and, children over the age of 18 who have been in continuous, full-time, attendance at college / university or vocational training, may be classed as dependants up to the age of 27.
Those NOT considered a “dependent” under RCNBF regulations are:
- spouses who have remarried;
- children who have left school and entered the work force;
- children who have married;
- children who have reached the age of 27, regardless of whether they have remained students.
For the purpose of the Bursary Program, the following are also considered as eligible dependents:
- Grandchildren of former members of the Naval Forces of Canada, or former members of the Canadian Forces (Navy or Sea Element);
- Grandchildren of former members of the Canadian Forces who have served at least one year in a Maritime Command Unit;
- Grandchildren of Canadian Merchant Navy War Veterans;
- Children or spouses of serving members of the Canadian Forces who have a Sea Element rank designation or who have served a minimum of one year in a
Maritime Command Unit.